For Purpose Investment Partners Executive Director, Michael Traill sat down with John Treadgold on the Good Future podcast, chatting all things sustainable business, the new economy and how your spending and investing decisions can have an impact.
Michael Traill is one of the founding-heroes of impact investing in Australia. He led a pioneering finance deal in 2009 which bought out the assets of the struggling child-care company ABC Learning. He revived the business as Goodstart Early learning, which remains Australia’s biggest child-care centre group. And a foundational story of impact investing in Australia.
Since then the sector has grown, and last year the Federal government setup a taskforce to make recommendations about what they can do to help nurture impact investing and in their wisdom, they made Michael the chair.
The taskforce published an interim report at the end of 2019 and final recommendations were due to be released in the middle 0f 2020. But covid-19 put a spanner in the works, and the report’s been delayed.
Interested to understand what Capitalism 2.0 looks like? Tune in via:
The new Labor Government has not yet responded to the Social Impact Investing Taskforce's report, but as the AFR indicates, there are high hopes the Albanese Government will be attracted to its suggestions for policy reform, including the creation of a “social investing wholesaler” to direct and coordinate investment.
Our Executive Director Michael Traill, who chaired the taskforce, said government could help to “catalyse and crowd-in more funding” for social impact investing.
Read the full article here.
Our very own Michael Traill sat down with Alberto Lidji for a discussion on social investing in Australia, as part of the Do One Better Podcast.
The episode explores a range of topics including:
(1) An overview of philanthropy in Australia today.
(2) Going beyond grant-making and ensuring endowments are invested for impact.
(3) Do investment professionals genuinely value impact investing?
(4) How does a non-profit, impact investment manager actually work?
(5) How do you go about deal flow origination, and what does a deal look like?
(6) How do you go to market with an impact investment proposition?
(7) How will the impact investing market evolve in the coming years?
(8) Do most impact investment opportunities arise from private equity houses, philanthropic foundations, high net worth individuals, or elsewhere?
Former National Australia Bank boss Andrew Thorburn has re-emerged, joining a new originator and investor in deals to manage human services.
The new group, For Purpose Investment Partners, will seek to bring superannuation funding and corporate management skills into the aged care, mental health, disability, social housing and education sectors..
Our Social Impact Fund I will open to new investors shortly, following a successful first close of $67m in December 2021.
To stay updated, enter your details below: